The Benefits of Green Seal® CertificationJune 21, 2019
Renewal by Andersen® manufactures Green Seal®-certified replacement windows and patio doors. Along with our parent company, Andersen Corporation, we were the first window manufacturers to have received the Green Seal Certification for Environmental Stewardship.
Renewal by Andersen of Eastern NY shares an in-depth look at what this certification means for us, for the environment, and for the homeowners who choose our products.
What Is Green Seal?
Green Seal is a non-profit ecolabelling organization that promotes transparency, integrity, and environmental leadership. Founded in 1989, Green Seal was the first organization to create an environmental certification program in the United States. They have since actively promoted product sustainability and environmentally preferable purchasing (EPP) and has certified thousands of products and services in over 450 categories.
Green Seal certification is based on standards that contain performance, health, and sustainability criteria. Since the early 2000s, the Green Seal certification program has focused on building systems, including window replacement products. Various certification programs such as Practice GreenHealth and the Green Ribbon Schools Program reference Green Seal standards in their criteria. According to a 2010 study conducted by the Responsible Purchasing Network, Green Seal is recognized by as much as 95% of their member purchasers.
Green Seal Standard for Windows
To earn a Green Seal certification, replacement windows must comply with the following requirements:
- Product-Specific Performance Requirements — The ratio of a window’s Visible Light Transmission Coefficient (VLTC, also referred to as Visible Transmittance) over its Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC) must be greater than 1. This means the replacement window must allow visible light through while blocking heat from the sun. This is achieved through low-emissivity coatings on the glass. Our energy saving windows are equipped with High-Performance™ Low-E4® glass packages, which feature low-emissivity coatings as a standard feature.
- Product-Specific Environmental Requirements — Replacement windows need to have a U-Factor value of no greater than 0.36. U-Factor measures how well a product helps prevent heat from escaping a room, with values ranging from 0.20 to 1.20. To achieve a 0.36 value, the window has to have exceptional insulation. Similar criteria for air leakage is included in this category. The manufacturer should also be able to demonstrate that the product is free from heavy metals including lead, mercury, and arsenic.
- Product Packaging Requirements — The corrugated boxes used by the window company for packaging must contain at least 25% post-consumer material. The sum of the concentration levels of the aforementioned heavy metals must not exceed 100 parts per million by weight.
- Consumer Education Requirements — Consumers must have access to information pertaining to the replacement windows’ climate-appropriateness. This information should be based on annual energy performance and/or annual energy cost optimization. The U-Factor and SHGC of every product must be clearly stated in the same materials.
- Certification and Labeling Requirements — The replacement window packaging must bear the Green Seal certification mark along with specific language as defined by Green Seal. This applies to all window styles including sliding windows.
The Green Seal certification has helped Renewal by Andersen overcome the following energy and environmental challenges:
- Renewing Existing Housing — Today’s average home consumes more energy and is responsible for more carbon emissions than a typical automobile. Renewal by Andersen replacement windows are energy-efficient, which helps reduce fuel-based energy consumption that, in turn, leads to a smaller carbon footprint.
- Indoor Air Quality — Renewal by Andersen replacement windows contain materials with low volatile organic compound levels, which helps reduce indoor air pollutants. We’re the only window contractor in the area to offer replacement windows that bear the Scientific Certification Systems (SCS) Indoor Advantage Gold™ certification.
- Smart Use of Materials — Our exclusive Fibrex® material frames contain up to 40% wood fiber by weight, reclaimed from our Andersen Corporation’s woodworking facilities. Our High-Performance™ Low-E4® glass packages contain reclaimed glass, at least 12% by weight.
- Smart Use of Energy — Energy-efficient replacement windows help reduce heat leaks, which keeps indoor heating and cooling requirements low.
- Long Product Life Cycles — Home improvements generate a lot of waste material. Products with long life spans help slow down the rate of landfill congestion. Renewal by Andersen replacement windows have an expected life span of over 20 years, which, in addition to being environmentally friendly, also means a lower life cycle cost.
Why Choose Renewal by Andersen Replacement Windows?
Overcoming such environmental challenges makes Renewal by Andersen replacement windows the ideal choice for your home. All window styles, including double hung windows, are tested for quality, and can be counted on to help reduce indoor air pollutants, as well as keep your family comfortable thanks to its energy-efficient features: no drafts or cold spots during winter, or uncomfortably hot windows in the summer. In fact, our low-emissivity coatings selectively block UV rays and heat from the sun. You can enjoy reading a favorite book under one of our bay windows and not feel hot, even with the sun shining in.
More importantly, you know you are helping the environment when you choose Renewal by Andersen replacement windows. An energy-efficient home uses up less energy from the grid: energy that’s generated using fossil fuel. In addition to slowing down landfill congestion, we also make sure that old windows are properly disposed of after window replacement.
Renewal by Andersen of Eastern NY is your leading provider of energy-efficient replacement windows. We offer popular window styles including casement windows. Give us a call at (866) 479-1700 or fill out our contact form.